| Date | 17 August 2012 |
|---|---|
| Source | Slough Observer |
| Reference | VP-0037 |
| Volume | Views of the Past |
| Collection | Views of the Past |
Transcript
Buildings still standing
Email Elias with feedback and your memories on observernews@berksmedia.co.uk
NESTLING at the end of Slough High Street close to Yew Tree Road, are some of Slough town centre’s earliest buildings, which are now a café and public house.
Historic records show that in 1635 a pair of cottages stood at the site, situated a little away from the village of Upton. They were demolished in the 18th century to make way for a new development in Bath Road.
One has to remember at the time there was no High Street – Slow, later Slough, was nothing more than a small village consisting of ribbon development along the main highway.
In 1774, the owner of the cottages, Mary Field, a widow, employed Slough builder Norcroft to construct a new terrace of 14 small dwellings on the site of the cottages and land facing in to High Street, between Upton Road and the Pied Horse Public House (224 High Street).
When the terrace was built it had no name, but to celebrate the start of the Regency age – under the Prince Regent (later King George IV) – the terrace was named Regent Place.
The building remained the property of one owner and was let out to tenants.
Sadly, only two out of the 14 buildings survive; these are now occupied by Antonio’s Café and the Rose and Crown Public House.
In 1866, Regent Place was put up for sale in its entirety, and number six Regent Place, was purchased by Henry Tilley, a corn merchant who leased it out to Edward Dalton and Edward Willock, brewers of New Windsor. A year later, the pair opened The Rose And Crown Public House, a licensed beer house.
The beer house was leased to a number of breweries, including the Victoria Brewery, Windsor, and Wethered’s Brewery, Marlow, before being sold privately in 1997.
Number five Regent Place became Billie’s Café in the 1930s. It was later renamed Tony’s Grill Café and has been run as a café ever since.
In 1974, it was conveyed to Slough Borough Council. The present lessee restored the venue and the café was opened as Antonio’s in December 1996.
In 1984 both buildings were granted Grade II Listed status and will be preserved as a small piece of Slough’s heritage for generations to come.
THROUGH THE AGES: Regent Place during the 1950s. The terrace building has stood in place at the end of Slough High Street since 1774.

