| Date | 29 June 2012 |
|---|---|
| Source | Slough Observer |
| Reference | VP-0036 |
| Volume | Views of the Past |
| Collection | Views of the Past |
Transcript
Rebuilding the Castle
Email Elias with feedback and your memories on observernews@berksmedia.co.uk
DURING the last few months I have contributed to a new book about Windsor during the first 30 years of the 19th century. It is due to be published by the Windsor Local History Group in the autumn.
The book covers key events in Windsor’s history, in particular, the rebuilding of Windsor Castle. The extension of the Castle must have had a profound effect on both the Royal Family and residents.
Prior to the 19th century, the last time there had been any major repair to the Castle was during the reign of Charles II.
By the late 18th century, Windsor Castle was in disrepair – major structural cracks were starting appear in towers and other buildings within the Castle precincts. Some repairs were carried out by George III, but by 1820, it was decided that the Castle needed a virtual rebuild.
In 1825 the plans of Jeffry Wyatt (later Wyattville) were approved by George IV and major rebuilding started – it continued for more than 10 years. The rebuilding and alterations were contracted out to local builders James Bedborough and Robert Tebbott.
Works included the building of a new tower and gateway – known as the George IV Gateway – leading from the Long Walk. Some of the Castle’s buildings were heightened, notably the Round Tower, which was given an additional 40ft.
Works included new entrance to the state apartments, music room, dining room and library. A gallery was built – known as the Waterloo Gallery – which housed the King’s art collection.
To keep construction work on track a large force of craftsmen as well as labourers were employed, some of whom were unscrupulous. The theft of raw building materials, especially lead, took place as can be witnessed from the records of Windsor’s Quarter Sessions.
This work, which cost more than £170,000, was financed by Parliament.
Further money was used to redecorate the interior of the Castle – partially paid for by George IV. The furnishings purchased for the Castle were all of British manufacture, including the silks from Spitalfields which adorned the walls.
On December 9, 1828, Jeffry Wyattville handed the King the master keys to his private apartments, marking the completion of part of the major work to the Castle; however, work continued until 1836.
This work was extensive and has endured well to this day.
PAST IMAGES: Below, the Castle before restoration in 1800 and left, Windsor Castle after restoration – The Round Tower was raised by 40ft – in 1840.

