The WW1 POW camp at Holyport

Date 10 August 2012
Source Slough Observer
Reference VP-0010
Volume Views of the Past
Collection Views of the Past

Transcript

Revealing a dark secret


Views of the past by Elias Kupfermann

AN OLD water tower in a field just outside Holyport Village is a remnant of Holyport’s secret past.

Near this tower stood a country house known as The Philiberds, which was used as a German prisoner of war camp during the First World War.

A manor house had stood on the site of this building since the early 13th century. It was rebuilt in 1780 and became a school between 1854 and 1879, and later a military academy. One famous pupil was Sir Winston Churchill.

In 1908, the Army School moved from Stratford-upon-Avon to The Philiberds. After the First World War began, the school was closed and the premises used as an officers’ prisoner of war camp.

Around 50 concrete huts were built in the grounds on the site of a cricket pitch. The camp was surrounded with barbed wire, noticeboards and a guard composed of the Devonshire National Reserve.

The first group of 50 German officers arrived in Maidenhead at 3.15 pm on Wednesday, November 25, 1914, and were transported in taxis carrying a sign ‘For Prisoners of War only’ to Holyport. They were met at the entrance by the Camp Commandant and the Adjutant. Two days later, another batch of prisoners of war (POWs) arrived, comprising rank and file officers whose duties were to look after their troops and do domestic work.

By January 1915, the camp held more than 100 selected officers from the German Army and Navy and about 50 ordinary ranks as orderlies. They exercised daily by playing football in a large field adjoining the house.

The POWs had a life of comparable luxury inside their compound, which included a well-equipped kitchen, proper dormitories and a room with a piano. They even had their own orchestra and heated swimming pool.
Despite this, POWs tried to escape by tunnelling, but their attempt was foiled, and two officers were tried by a military court held at the camp.

The camp ceased operation during the second half of 1919 and reverted to the original owners, who demolished the house and camp – ending more than 800 years of continued occupation of the site.

I am indebted to Leslie Ritson-Smith for sharing his material on the Holyport Prisoner of War Camp.

Images

Slough Observer (10th/08/2012): The WW2 POW camp at Holy Port