| Date | 6 September 2013 |
|---|---|
| Source | Slough Observer |
| Reference | VP-0053 |
| Volume | Views of the Past |
| Collection | Views of the Past |
Transcript
Queen’s wish is granted
Email Elias with feedback and your memories on observernews@berksmedia.co.uk
THIS week we look at Holy Trinity Church, Windsor, which has been the centre of pomp and ceremony over the last century and a half.
It was Queen Victoria’s wish to found a church for her soldiers who were stationed both at the Victoria and Combermere Barracks.
The church was built on land given by local businessman, entrepreneur and Mayor of Windsor James Bedborough and through the generosity of the Royal family and other pillars of the local community.
This included a gift of 200 guineas from Queen Victoria as well as contributions from the Duke and Duchess of Kent, Eton College and St George’s Chapel.
The architect, Edward Blore, had also worked on Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace and at Hampton Court.
The foundation stone for the church was laid on April 4, 1842 by Prince Albert, who it was rumoured was also responsible for the design of the church’s ceiling.
Prince Albert’s connection to the church is emphasised by the life-sized sculpture which stands inside the door of the church. It was originally in a niche above the entrance to the Royal Albert Institute and was removed when the institute was demolished in 1977.
The church contains many military memorials including panels on the gallery which commemorate the lives of the 2,116 officers and soldiers of the Grenadier, Coldstream and Scots Guards who died during the Crimean War between 1854 and 1857, which were unveiled by Edward VII in 1905. Another 86 panels record the names of 742 officers and men of the Household Brigade who died in the Boer War 1899–1902.
In 1883 the Guard’s Chapel was added to the church by the First Lifeguards, and was dedicated to the soldiers who lost their lives during the 1882 Anglo-Egyptian War.
Hanging along the gallery now are standards and regimental colours of the Royal Horse Guards, Life Guards, Coldstream and Irish Guards. Two of the Coldstream regimental flags were at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. Troops have marched from their barracks to the church since it was built. These military parades were extremely popular, especially during the Edwardian period. This tradition still continues to this day, and in recent years Prince William and Prince Harry have both taken part with their regiments.
PLACE OF WORSHIP: Holy Trinity Church, pictured around 1900. The church was built on land given by a former Mayor of Windsor, James Bedborough.

