| Date | 30 October 2012 |
|---|---|
| Source | Slough Observer |
| Reference | VP-0042 |
| Volume | Views of the Past |
| Collection | Views of the Past |
Transcript
The bells are ringing out
Email Elias with feedback and your memories on observernews@berksmedia.co.uk
THE picture illustrated here shows the final phase of repair in a long history of the church bells of the Parish Church of St John the Baptist, Windsor. The church, which remains today, replaced one which dated back to at least the 12th century.
The parish churchwarden’s accounts first mention the bells in 1583 – the accounts describe the ‘reparacon [repair] of the Steeple, Bells costing £21 11s 6d.
The accounts also show the bells were rung on ‘Royal’ occasions, such as one occasion, which was recorded in 1616 – ‘To ringers at the King’s coming… and going’ for the sum of 14d and again in 1630 ‘to ringers for the Prince’s birth (Later Charles II)’ for the cost of 1s 6d’.
Another interesting entry was made on November 5, 1661, citing ‘Pd. For Bread and beere for ye ringers on Gunpowder treason day – £3 6d.’
During the early 17th century, the church possessed five bells and a ‘saint’s bell’. The bells were recast in 1674 by Michael Darby – a bell founder in Southwark.
Darby added a treble bell to make a ring of six. The total cost of all the bells was £50. A year later, in 1675, the accounts show the bells were rung several times throughout the year for the coming of Charles II.
In 1711, the bells were replaced with a ring of eight, made by Richard Phelps of the famous Whitechapel bell foundry. They were presented to town by the Hon Samuel Masham, Cofferer to Her Majesty Queen Anne.
One bell was recast in 1730 by Phelps.
By the early 1820s, the old church had fallen into disrepair and was taken down and a new church was completed in 1824.
Four of the original bells – from the 18th century – were retained and remaining four recast in 1822-1824 by Thomas Mears II.
The bells were hung in an oak frame from 1824 but some timber from the 17th century frame was reused.
In 1930, the frames were restored and the 18th century bells can still be heard harking back to their distinguished heritage.
This image and other views of Windsor in past years can be found in my Book Vanished Windsor, which is available from Waterstones, in Peascod Street, Windsor, and from The Windsor and Royal Borough Museum in The Guildhall, High Street, Windsor.
DING DONG: The bells, which originate from the 18th century, at St John The Baptist Church, Windsor, waiting to be rehung.

