Stuchbery Store in Maidenhead

Date 26 October 2012
Source Slough Observer
Reference VP-0046
Volume Views of the Past
Collection Views of the Past

Transcript

Store the first of its kind

Email Elias with feedback and your memories on observernews@berksmedia.co.uk

N RECENT YEARS, there has been no department store in Maidenhead town centre – but this was not always the case.

In 1760, James Stuchbery opened a shop near the old Sun coaching Inn, at the bottom of Castle Hill, which grew into a Victorian Emporium, which operated on a very grand scale.

The store provided for the needs of those travelling from London to Bath by coach until the early 1840s when the Great Western Railway arrived and tolled the death of the old coaching route. The Victorian Emporium continued to operate on a small scale during this time and in 1874, the business expanded when Thomas Stuchbery went into partnership with the Thompson family of Wargrave.

It moved to newly-built premises further down the High Street, now occupied by McDonald’s.

A photograph taken in the 1880s shows goods displayed in the windows of the two floors which the store occupied.

At its height, towards the end of the 19th century, there were more than 15 departments within the shop, which catered for all the needs of the thoroughly modern Victorian household. The shop sold everything from China and glassware to fresh pork, cheese and bacon.

Within the store was a large ironmongery department, which was later moved by manager Sidney Thompson to a new store lower down the High Street. It was next to Budgen’s, almost on the corner of the junction with Queen Street. Stuchbery’s Stores was taken over in 1903 by the International Grocery Stores.

By this time, SR Thompson’s High Street shop had become the leading ironmonger in the town. The firm lasted until the early 1950s before closing.

Stuchbery’s store was later divided into two retail units and SR Thompson’s into three.

Today the upper façade of McDonald’s remains unchanged and acts as a reminder of Stuchbery and Thompsons shop – Maidenhead’s first superstore.

LOOKING BACK: Stuchbery’s Stores in Maidenhead High Street in 1880.

Images

26 Oct 2012; Slough Observer