|The Totem Pole||Geoffrey Try|
|Sir Dhunjibhoy Bomanji||Catherine Sutton|
|Princess Christian Nursing Home||Anne Taylor|
|Centenary of the End of WW1:|
– Horse Chestnuts and the War Effort
– Windsor and the End of the Great War
|Ghosts of Businesses Past||Sue Ashley|
|Windsor: Contagious Diseases Act||C Dixon-Smith|
|Frederic Rainer||Derek Hunt|
|Princess Charlotte||Leslie Grout|
|Vera Lynn in Windsor||Derek Hunt|
|Thomas Hardy||Dr. B Mitchell|
|Lord Roberts and the Veterans series:|
– Private John Statham
|Centenary of the RAF|
– Aircraft Crash in Eton, Feb 1918
– Reginald A R Try RFC
|Edward James Try||V Batt-Rawden|
|White Hart Hotel||E Kupfermann|
|Centenary: Daniel’s Windsor Store||Derek Hunt|
|The Whistling Court Case||C Dixon-Smith|
|Windsor Cemetary series: Colonel Muter||Derek Hunt|
|Book Review: St Edwards||Cather Sutton|
|Obituary: Norman Oxley||Dr. M Mitchell|
|Did You Know? (*)|
Did You Know?
In 1518, the Trinity Guild, successor to the merchants’ guild established in the 13th century, had a new meeting house built on what is now called Guildhall Island.
Today the site is occupied by what was until recently The Three Tuns public house. It was renamed in 2018 as The Prince Harry.
In 1618, the inn and alehouse keepers of Windsor were required to make a bond with the magistrates that they would not serve meat dishes during Lent, 15 innkeepers, and 19 alehouse keepers did.
The same year Sir Giles Mompresson exercised his monopoly to license inns in Windsor, however, only Richard Croxford of the White Hart paid the £5 demanded.
In 1718, a butcher’s shop next to The Guildhall was pulled down by its owner, Silas Bradbury, and as the foundations were dug for a new building work was stopped by order of the Mayor, Samuel Gilman. He claimed that the land belonged to the Corporation and fenced the area off.
A lawyer called in to settle the dispute, was found in favour of Bradbury. But the house that was built on the tiny site was tii tall and it now leans away from The Guildhall. The legend is that it does so in memory of that old quarrel. As Market Cross House this is now one of Windsor’s most famous buildings.
On 16th September 1918, Captain Hugh William Caley only son of the owners of the department store on Windsor’s High Street died. He left a young widow after just a year of marriage. The funeral service was held at Windsor Parish Church, where the whole of Caley’s staff attended.
Hugh was destined to take over the store after the war, but his death led to the sale of Caley’s to Selfridges, after 100 years as a family business.
In 2006, the store was closed by the then owner John Lewis Partnership.