| Date | 2 March 2012 |
|---|---|
| Source | Slough Observer |
| Reference | VP-0020 |
| Volume | Views of the Past |
| Collection | Views of the Past |
Transcript
The vanishing pictures
Views of the past by Elias Kupfermann
IN MY book Vanished Windsor, the images which have invoked the most memories have been the photographs of the town’s cinemas. At one time there were four, and now none exist.
Windsor’s earliest cinema was known as ‘the People’s Electric Cinema‘ and was converted from part of the old Windsor Infirmary building in Victoria Street and opened in 1910. It heralded the age of the moving picture.
Cinemas were to catch on very quickly and in 1911 ‘The Empire‘, converted from an early Edwardian roller skating rink, opened in Peascod Street (on the site of the Post Office) and was known by many Windsorians
as ‘the Fleapit‘. Incidentally, no photographs remain of this cinema, and if anyone has any in their possession, please contact via observernews@ berksmedia.co.uk
The Regal Cinema, also in Peascod Street, was Windsor’s first purpose-built cinema. It was originally known simply as ‘the Windsor Cinema’ and was built in 10 weeks and could hold 600 people.
The Regal Cinema opened in February 1913. The whole building, including the frontage, was illuminated by electric light. In 1931, the Windsor Cinema was renamed the Regal and was refurbished. The Regal remained open until January 1969 when it became a bingo hall, a fate which befell many of the country’s early picture palaces. The cinema was demolished 10 years later in 1979 to make way for a new Boots the Chemists.
The Playhouse in Lower Thames Street was the next cinema built in Windsor and was designed by the celebrated cinema architect Robert Cromie. It took six months to complete and opened on Boxing Day, 1928.
The cinema’s imposing auditorium could seat 1,500 people and was built with the latest innovations in sound and décor. It was later known as the ABC Cinema and closed its doors in 1983.
Also in 1932, the Theatre Royal, in Thames Street, closed down for a short period of time and was converted into the ‘Royalty Cinema‘. Between September 1933 and May 1934 it returned to being a theatre again, but closed again after eight months due to a lack of funds. The Royalty finally closed down in 1938 and reopened as the Theatre Royal with a permanent repertory company.
Further information and more photographs of Windsor’s cinemas and other lost buildings in the town can be found in Vanished Windsor, which is available from Waterstones in Peascod Street.

