| Date | 15 July 2016 |
|---|---|
| Source | Slough Observer |
| Reference | VP-0063 |
| Volume | Views of the Past |
| Collection | Views of the Past |
Transcript
Racecourse history
I WAS delighted to receive a copy of Jim Beavis’s new book on the history of Windsor Racecourse.
This books fills a niche where very little has been collated on the history of the racecourse, though occasionally the odd race card from the 1920s comes up for sale. Jim has been compiling history of a number of race courses across the country and this one is a welcome addition to an area of Windsor’s comparatively unknown history. The publication of this book marks the 150th anniversary of the racecourse.
Racing in the Windsor area can be traced as far back as to the 1360s, when some of the racehorses of Edward III were sold in 1360 to pay for his major building works at Windsor Castle. However, racing in the area did not become a major attraction until the establishment of the Ascot racecourse by Queen Anne in 1711, known at that time as the ‘Windsor and Ascot Heath Races’.
From the middle of the 19th century, there was a steeplechase course at Windsor nearby to the Combermere barracks and was patronaged by the Royal family. However, it was John Frail, a Shrewsbury man and a barber who had earlier revived the racecourse of his home town, who saw that there may be a profit to be made in the establishment of a racecourse at Windsor. He went into partnership with John Jenner Saltmarsh who was well known in racing circles. Saltmarsh eventually found some land at Clewer, a mile west of Windsor. The land was leased from MP William Vansittart in August 1865 for a period of 21 years and a substantial permanent grandstand capable of accommodating 2000 people was erected for a cost of £500. The racecourse opened for business on 5 June 1866 and was well attended.
In 1888 the course was extended with an additional loop making a figure-of-eight track. In May 1914, a new club stand was opened and is still used today. Today the racecourse goes from strength to strength, and to discover more of Windsor racecourse’s history, Jim Beavis’s book can be purchased from Windsor Racecourse.
Image: Windsor Racecourse Grandstand in 1896.

