| Date | 26 March 1943 |
|---|---|
| Source | Windsor, Slough & Eton Express |
| Reference | EE01-0035 |
| Volume | Eton Excelsior Rowing Club, Volume 1 |
| Collection | Eton Excelsior |
Transcript
A Change of Name?
President’s proposal at Eton Excelsior A.G.M.
At the annual general meeting of the Eton Excelsior Rowing Club, held at the Guildhall, on Thursday of last week, the proposal that the club should change its name to the Windsor and Eton Rowing Club or Windsor Rowing Club, was made by the President in a letter to the meeting. After considerable discussion, it was decided to allow the matter to remain on the table until after the war, as it was felt it would be wrong to take such major decision while so many of the club members were away.
The Mayor presided in the absence of Mr. A. H. Dyson (President) through ill-health. It was decided to send a letter of best wishes to the President and to express the meeting’s hope that his health would soon improve.
Those supporting the Chairman included the Captain Mr. V. H. Hobbs), the Hon. Secretary (Mr. C. D. Dyson), the Hon. Treasurer (Mr. A. Bellringer), etc.
The Secretary’s report disclosed that the Club had been able to carry on in 1942 and had actually sent crews to a services regatta at Marlow and had organised a regatta st Windsor in connection with the stay-at-home holidays programme.
The Treasurer’s report showed a satisfactory balance on all accounts and both reports were adopted with thanks to the officials concerned.
When the re-election of the president was proposed, it was stated that Mr. A. H. Dyson had been connected with the Club for sixty-six years, the vice-presidents were re-elected en bloc with the addition of the name of Capt. C.E. Mott Radclyffe. M.P. and the other officers were elected as follows: Captain, V. H. Hobbs; Vice-Captain, F. C. Buck; Hon. Treasurer, A. Bellringer; Hon. Secretary, C. D. Dyson; Hon. Auditors: Меssrs А. Н. Dyson and T. H. Powers; Committee: Messrs. Turner, Wood. Halley, Baker, Tull, Webb, Powers and Smith.
The CHAIRMAN read a letter from Mr. A H. Dyson, suggesting the change of name because he thought so few people at regattas, etc., knew, apart from actual rowing men, who the Excelsior were. He thought the Club would be better served by the name Windsor & Eton Rowing Club, dropping the word Excelsior.
Many speakers, while sympathising with the proposal, thought this was not the right time to make the change when so many members were away on active service and could not express their opinion on what was a major matter. It was agreed that if the Club moved its headquarters to the Windsor shore, as it was hoped to do, in the near future, then the change would be automatic. A postal ballot of members away was suggested, but it was finally agreed to let the matter stay on the fable until the end of the war.
Thanking the Mayor for the use of the Guildhall for the meeting, it was stated that it was probably the first time the Excelsior had been granted the privilege of holding their AGM in that building.

![Extract from a newspaper article discussing a proposal at Eton Excelsior Rowing Club's annual general meeting regarding a potential name change to Windsor and Eton Rowing Club or Windsor Rowing Club. [P1011968B]](https://i0.wp.com/windsorlocalhistorygroup.org/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/P1011968B.jpg?resize=246%2C1024&ssl=1)