| Date | 12 June 2015 |
|---|---|
| Source | Slough Observer |
| Reference | VP-0086 |
| Volume | Views of the Past |
| Collection | Views of the Past |
Transcript
From Le Sheet to street
KINGS Road was originally part of Sheet Street, one of the original medieval streets of Windsor (a continuation of the High Street) which radiated out from the Castle.
Sheet Street was located on the outskirts of the medieval town and was the south-eastern thoroughfare in and out of Windsor. It led to Old Windsor, the Anglo-Saxon precursor to the town of New Windsor.
Sheet Street is mentioned as early as 1296 when it was called Le Sheet Strette. In the 15th Century it was known as Shete Stret (1449) and later on in the early 16th century as Sheer Street (1603).
On the southern side of medieval Sheet Street were the common open fields of Le Worth (meaning an enclosed field) and on the northern side of the road was the field called Le Sheet which Sheet Street takes its name from. The land in the common fields was owned by many people and was cultivated using the medieval system of strip farming.
During the 18th century, local landowners were acquiring as much land in Windsor as they could and this also included the addition of large areas once covered by the two common fields of Le Worth and Le Sheet.
This land in particular, was covered by two ancient estates, the Manor of Clewer belonging to Arthur Vansittart and the Manor of Clewer Brocas held by the Honourable Frederick Keppel.
Arthur Vansittart’s land covered the Norman Manor of Clewer, inherited from his father in 1805. After his death in 1859, the property was left to Arthur Stovell. Arthur Vansittart was MP for Windsor between 1804 and 1805. He also owned the estate of Shottesbrook Park.
From the early 1820s elegant terraces started to appear on what was originally Sheet Street on land which originally formed the Keppel Estate.
The first of these to be built was York Terrace named after Frederick Prince of Wales and was built by Windsor builder Robert Tebbott and James Bedborough. They were also responsible for the fine villas on Clarence Crescent and also the enlargement of the Guildhall in 1829-30.
In 1825 Brunswick Terrace was constructed and named after Caroline of Brunswick. These were built by local builder and owner Thomas Adams in 1825.
The final terrace to be built in Kings Road was Adelaide Terrace built in 1831.
To recognise the status of these buildings the lower part of Sheet Street from Brook Street onwards was renamed Kings Road in 1838.
NAME CHANGE: The lower part of Sheet Street was renamed Kings Road in 1838. It is pictured here in 1906.

