Published in 1995.
Front cover: Model aircraft drawings made by Sidney Camm of Alma Road, Windsor.
|Editorial (*)||Pamela Marson|
|Lord Gowrie (1872-1955)|
– A Windsor Victoria Cross
|Windsor Model Aero Club|
– And the Camm Family
|The Ken Shepherd Archive||Colin Hague|
|No Way Through:|
– The Thames Towpath Controversy
|The Man on the Memorial:|
– Dedworth War Memorial
|The Windsor Castle Guide 1793 – Charles Knight|
– Theatre Royal Programmes (1948-91)
1995 has been a significant year for those who are interested in the history of Windsor, and the surrounding area. Two important events have occurred to make the study easier.
On 24th May, the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead opened the “Town and Crown” exhibition over the information centre at 24 High Street. Any local resident with an Advantage card can visit it free of charge, while visitors pay only £1. The exhibition consists of artefacts from the Royal Borough Museum Collection, which has been stored at the council depot in Tinkers Lane. In addition to the permanent exhibition, there will be a series of temporary exhibitions. The first related to the national celebration of the 50th anniversary of VE Day, and the second to Hon. Evelyn Ellis who made the first recorded motor journey in Britain on 5th July 1895 from Micheldever in Hampshire to his home in Datchet, via Windsor. The third celebrates the life of F.J. Camm, who was born in 1895. His involvement with Windsor Model Aero Club is recorded in this edition of Windlesora by Gordon Cullingham. In 1996 the Windsor and Eton Society will be celebrating their centenary with a display. There is now ample room at the Museum Store for researchers and this is celebrated with articles on the Ken Shepherd Archive and the Theatre Royal programmes, which are both held at the Store. The Honorary Curator, Dr. Judith Hunter is always delighted to arrange access for researchers.
The second event of importance to Windsor’s local historians is the opening of a new public library at Bachelors Acre on 11th September. For many years, access to local history books had been difficult as they were locked away, and only those who knew what was in the stock room had any chance of consulting the appropriate books. Now most of them are on open shelves in the reference section, and even the valuable ones are visible behind glass doors. To celebrate these facilities we print an extract from one of the newly available books, The Windsor Guide published by Charles Knight in 1793.